My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cannonlewis.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

My Musings

I design because I feel compelled to express something I don't know how to otherwise articulate.

Friday, March 5, 2010

A Reflection on Age and Style


I love my afternoon walks in the park with Sophie. I am able to clear my mind and take in what is around me: the textures, the colors, and the way the sunlight hits the trees is relaxing and refreshing.

Today I saw this lady sitting on a park bench - she had a certain twinkle in her eye, and I don't usually walk up to strangers, but I did. Meet Lily Axel: black crocodile loafers, camel hair coat, red cashmere scarf, lipstick and a brown mink beret. I asked if I could take her picture for a piece I wanted to write, she agreed, but wanted to see what I wrote, so I am meeting her at 5pm tomorrow at the park with a copy of this post.

I was struck with this notion that there is a type of beauty that is only found in aging. The bark on trees becomes more distinctive in time, good architecture on buildings only gets better as cracks form, and marble steps get smoother, rounder and shinier as they are stepped on year after year. Lily has a depth to her style that cannot be replicated because it requires time. She is a reminder to embrace each season of my life and when I grow up, I want to be found in a mink beret and red lipstick sitting outside in style, imbibing the world around me.