My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cannonlewis.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

My Musings

I design because I feel compelled to express something I don't know how to otherwise articulate.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Concierge of Chic: Interview with Kirby Woodson Legate

Concierge of Chic
An interview with Kirby Woodson Legate
Kirby2
A mutual friend put me in contact with Kirby when I moved up to New York. Kirby is the founder of Petite Alma, a multi-faceted design studio, with a stationery line that is carried through www.tinyprints.com My Christmas cards, baptism invitations, and birth announcements have been from her company. She has fantastic style and taste, and writes an amazing blog. You can visit her website here.

Cannon Lewis: You have a strong background in children's clothing design from you stints with babyGap, Bonpoint, and Marie Chantal. What made you decide to move from clothing to paper?
Kirby Legate: Well, I still dabble in the clothing industry and hope to get back into it very soon.  I never really made a choice to leave it, but the stationery area of my business took off and demanded more and more of my time.   Now, 6 years later, I finally have my business arranged in a way that I have time to get back to some of the others areas I love- clothing being one of them.

CL: What is the story behind your company's name, Petite Alma?
KL: Precious Alma...  When I was designing for Bonpoint in Paris, our fit models came in on Thursdays.  Our 4 year old fit model was Alma.  I'll never forget her prancing around the studio speaking french and teasing me about my accent.   Not shy at all with a spunky little personality.  I looked forward to Thursdays, just to see little Alma.  She was the perfect muse for my company.

CL: In five years from now, where do you see your company?
KL: Wow, that's a tough one because I was taught a long time ago to think BIG even if you are small.  There are so many things we want to do, but you never know which ones will actually materialize.  I never thought I would be in the stationery world, but it just happened, so maybe there is something out there I can't even image right now.  Ideally, we would love to have a collection of baby bedding, a layette/ children's clothing line, petite alma toys and games, more letterpress, gift sets and offer interior design for children's rooms.  We will see which ones we get to!

CL: When I started designing jewelry, it was my love for the product and creative outlet that drove me to then start a company, but it has been the business side that has kept me going. Name one business lesson you have learned from starting your own company.
KL: The one who looses it, loses.  (my dad taught me that one)  It's true- in the midst of a business argument, if you loose it, you're done.  It's more acceptable for men to loose it because they are supposed to be the tough guy, but when a woman looses it, people just roll their eyes and say we are being emotional.

CL: Where do you go for inspiration?
KL: I live in NYC, so I'm lucky to be surrounded by creative people and unique boutiques.  I get a lot of my clothing inspiration just from seeing what people are wearing on the streets.

CL: If you could live somewhere else for six months, where would you go and what would you do?
KL: I'd go back to Paris.  I would take french lessons in the mornings, explore in the afternoons and eat lots of macaroons!

CL: Where are some of your favorite places to shop and eat in New York City?
KL: I am a boutique shopper, so I don't frequent the big stores like Barney's and Bergdorf very often.  I love Otte and Nili Lotan in Tribeca and Zadig and Voltaire in the Meatpacking district.  As for food, I love the Harrison in Tribeca and for a really special dinner, I love Aquavit.  Perry Street is one of my favorites too.

CL: What advice do you have for someone just starting out in your field?
KL: Expect the best (from Norman Vincent Peale's inspiring book, The Power of Positive Thinking) and believe you can do it!

CL: How would you describe your personal style?
KL: Simple. Clean.  Neutrals with pops of color.  Classic old styles mixed with modern accents.  Informal. 

CL: If you could have one piece of Cannon Lewis jewelry, which one would it be and why?
KL: I like the leaf earrings with diamonds because they are elegant, but casual enough to wear everyday.  But it's hard to narrow it down to one!