My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cannonlewis.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

My Musings

I design because I feel compelled to express something I don't know how to otherwise articulate.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

New York in the Rain

I had plans to meet my friend for dinner at Stanton Social in the Lower East Side and it was raining. Saw a cab and there are never cabs in the rain - thought I was lucky. Took the cab, 45 minutes later still in cab and gridlocked. Got out of cab and took subway. Sat next to Adele. She likes the name Miranda though, not because of Sex in the City but because she has always loved it. So her boyfriend calls her Miranda. I told her I am from Texas. Her face lit up and she told me her boyfriend is from Oklahoma. I have been to Oklahoma once and it is NOT Texas, but I smiled and went with it. Told her to take her boyfriend to Hill Country BBQ because that is the only real BBQ in the City. My new friend got off on her stop, and then a few stops later I got off the train, walked for a good 10 minutes in the rain, arrived over-fashionably late (1hr 15min), but it was a wonderful time and my cab back took 20 minutes total.

The peculiar thing is this: I love New York even in the rain and inconvenience. My first thought was as I got off the train and was walking to the restaurant, arriving later than I think I have ever been, was this: I am so glad I brought and umbrella, and how wonderful is it that it is so small that it fits in my clutch purse.